HISTORY OF LANDELL
Landell Elementary, the only year round school in Cypress, is named after the first school teacher of Cypress - Margaret "Daisy" Landell.
"As more people moved into the community in the 1890s, consideration was given to the organization of a new school district. The children of the early settlers attended either the Centralia School, located on what is today Knott Avenue, or the Bloomfield School on Bloomfield and Crescent avenues. After the regular school term was over in the summer of 1894, a special two-week session was held to see if there were enough students to warrant a new school.
As 25 pupils appeared for this trial term, the Cypress School District was formed on July 1, 1895. Charles Lee Damron donated one acre of land from his 25 acre ranch near Ball Road across from Moody Street (an locally area known as "alkalai flats"), a building was built, and a one-month term launched. Miss Margaret "Daisy" Landell was hired as the school's first teacher to teach grades one through eight at a salary of $60 per month. There were 23 students enrolled, ranging in age from 6 to 19.
As Cypress trees were planted around the schoolyard for a windbreak, the name of Cypress was given to the school, and ultimately to the community.”
(From the City of Cypress Website - History of Cypress) http://www.cypressca.org/home/showdocument?id=6
The school was first built in 1966 and was renovated in 1993.